Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Chicken Posole...................

Okay friends..... some of you have been asking for some more recipes. I will try to be better about that! Here is one I thought you all would enjoy. It is a crock pot recipe- so that is always good for us mom's on the go!

Cost per serving $1.50
Makes: 8 servings (I think more)
Prep: 10 minutes
Slow cook: 6 hours on low
174 calories per serving
4 grams fat per serving

2 cloves of garlic minced
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken whole breast
2 cans (15oz each) white hominy, drained and rinsed
1 med. onion, chopped
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
2 large chicken bullion cubes ( I use powder- so I can always add more if needed at end if needed)
4 cups water

Combine above - poor over whole chicken breasts in pot. Cook on low for 6 hours.
Remove cover shred chicken breasts and stir in the following:

1 can (14.5oz) cut diced tomatoes with jalapenos.
1 tbsp lime juice (fresh squeezed)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Serve immediately! Top with the below ingredients:
Shredded cheddar cheese
Diced radishes
Chopped cabbage
Squeeze more lime juice on top!



With your left over cabbage- you can make coleslaw for the following night:

1 med. head cabbage shredded
1 carrot shredded
2 cups light mayo
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
3 tbsp. dried minced onion
salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, combine cabbage and carrot. Add remaining ingredients. Still until well coated. Chill and serve.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm...that sounds tempting! I really need to be better about cooking. If I had an unlimited $ supply...I'd hire a cook. Jeez, that sounds lazy.

Eve said...

We are not all Oprah!

Sandra Smart said...

thanks so much for stopping by my blog...I am so glad you did! Now I have found your blog and just in time as that recipe sounds scrumptious!

Raimi said...

Thanks for sharing! Did you catch Oprah today? I was floored by the Mom who makes dinner for under $4.00 (for the whole family)-WOW!

Stephenie said...

The chicken posole looks wonderful and not to expensive!! Thanks for sharing!
Stephenie

I Design For..........

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

cc Eve Fowler, 2008 Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.

Followers

Why do I blog?

I have never been one to keep a journal. I have never been able to write in a diary for more than a week! I have countless scrapbooks that still need to be journaled. I do this in hopes of becoming a better journalist. I do this to document everyday life. I do this so I don't have to scrapbook EVERY picture! I do this for me, our friends and family, & mostly the kids. One day they will have it all - because I took the time to document all the little things that REALLY do matter. Everyday life....all the little moments you & I can't remember because the memories are long gone.......