Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Eureka & The Somoa Cookhouse......

One of the most written about, and photographed Victorian houses in California, the William Carson Mansion. This took over one hundred men over two years to construct. Built in 1885 William Carson was a lumber magnate. It is said he had the mansion built to keep his mill-workers employed through slow periods. It contains rare woods from all over the world. The Carson Mansion was owned by descendants of William Carson until 1950, when it was sold to a local men's club. We were disappointed to find out there were no tours of this amazing mansion. However Eve was thrilled to find out that the women of the town pitched a fit- and now they are allow to go into the mansion. So much for the men's club!


This was one of the highlights of our trip! If you know us personally- you know the Fowler's like to EAT! Somoa Cookhouse, the last surviving lumberjack camp style cookhouse in the West. They have been serving HEAPING meals since 1893.


Of course I was not allowed to post the picture of Rob that I wanted to. (The one with him shoveling food into his mouth!) So I posted this "boring" one of him!
This was the menu for the day. We had soup, salad, homemade bread, bean salad, pot roast, baby red potatoes, carrots, baked beans, and gravy. Of course everything is HOMEMADE from scratch. Even the chocolate cake with white icing. You can eat as much as you like- everything is unlimited! And for a very fair price! After lunch we walked through the interesting museum for more information and local history!
Check out this link for more information:

http://www.samoacookhouse.net/

No comments:

I Design For..........

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

cc Eve Fowler, 2008 Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.

Followers

Why do I blog?

I have never been one to keep a journal. I have never been able to write in a diary for more than a week! I have countless scrapbooks that still need to be journaled. I do this in hopes of becoming a better journalist. I do this to document everyday life. I do this so I don't have to scrapbook EVERY picture! I do this for me, our friends and family, & mostly the kids. One day they will have it all - because I took the time to document all the little things that REALLY do matter. Everyday life....all the little moments you & I can't remember because the memories are long gone.......